Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Tidbits

Sorry it's been so long since we've updated. These past few weeks have been a whirlwind, and I have a feeling our last few weeks in the States will not be any less crazy! But its a good crazy. Our next weeks include spending as much time with family and friends as possible while squeezing in last minute preparations. Brian and I are savoring every second. Not taking anything for granted. A lot has happened since the last post, so I'm going to give you the reader's digest version. I promise our next post will include pictures of all the fun we're having with family and friends.
  • We have an APARTMENT. I know this was included in the last post, but I'll go into some detail. We will be living in the on campus apartments for married students. However this is not your momma's normal campus apartments. Hillsong leases a complex of apartments from a large company in Sydney. They are located in Waterloo, which is in Sydney, next to campus and church. Very convienent for Brian to walk to class. We're right there with the heart of Sydney at our fingertips which is great for job opportunities and transportation...and shopping(not that I would EVER dream of such a thing)....hehe. Our apartment consists of a master suite (bedroom and bathroom), kitchen/dining area, and a living room. Here is the link for you to take a virtual tour of a similar apartment. Ours won't come with all the decor and such but it will give you an idea of the layout of our place. http://www.realestate.com.au/realestate/agent/meriton+sydney/mhdsyd/102589302
  • I'm DREADING packing. Brian and I are taking 3 suitcases a piece, however, we were informed by our international flight that none of the suitcases can exceed 66lbs... or else. Or else we have to LEAVE something at the airport. No fees, but if it the weight is over the limit you CAN'T take it with you. The kind lady with the airline informed us that with international flights they have to put a strict policy in place or their won't be enough luggage room for all the passengers. This means I'm gonna have to master the art of packing. We have some tricks up our sleeves. I have a blueprint of our suitcases and I know what is going in each suitcase! On the up side, this has made me get rid of things I NEVER wear. It also helps that we won't need a bunch of heavy sweaters or coats.
  • We're on the job hunt. Brian already has an interview lined up shortly after we arrive and a lead on another job. Please continue to pray that the Lord provide us with jobs. On the job note, tomorrow is our LAST day of working here in the States. I am going to miss Commerce so much. When I started I just thought it would be a good temporary job, but nothing more. I never imagined I'd make such great relationships with my coworkers. What a blessing these people and job has been for me. My last day will definately bring tears. But they're throwing me a party, so it will be a day of laughter as well!
  • It SNOWED in KC...TWICE. As it was coming down I was thinking about how much I'll miss snow in Sydney. That was until I had to drive in it...ick! It nearly doubled my commute time.

T minus 27 days till take off!

3 comments:

michelle said...

i found you!!!

love love.

Melanie said...

Hi, Erika. So sorry that I'm just now sitting down and taking time to visit your blog. I plan to be a regular reader!

You've been on my mind alot over the last couple of weeks as I know you've been preparing to move. Regardless of the "rightness" of the move I know that doesn't take away the difficulty that comes with leaving family and friends for a long period of time.

We are excited to tag along via your blog and see all that God has in store for you in Australia!

We love you and Brian and will be keeping you close in our thoughts and prayers!

Carolyn said...

Hi Erika.. and Brian too! I am sorry to say I haven't looked at your blog in a while...I was checking it often then...well there is no excuse...
I hung up your prayer card in my cubicle yesterday.. and when I came in and saw it this morning....I remembered to pray for you guys.. I really hope all is going well. I MISS YOU....
I just finished reading all the posts I missed out on and...all I can say is.... ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!...about that receptionist at the dr office!!! Can you say ...."Get out much"... LOL... I know it must not have been funny at the time.. but I did have to laugh when I read it all..!!!

Praise the Lord you found your passion again... I am still searching for mine... I have given my self until march of 09 to discover it again...it's one of my 9 month goals.. I think I know but am just waiting...
I so can relate to the being too bussy to do the things you love....I think the Lord has kept me still this past year for that very reason... I find myself feeling ready to get back in the game...ya know, Ministering to others, teaching the Bible..
Well I guess that's it!! Oh I have some pictures for you... if you want to get me your current mailing address I will send them to you...before you take off!!!
Talk to you soon... I promise to check in more often...
Love you!