Friday, April 17, 2009

Colour Your World.

A couple of weeks ago Hillsong Church hosted their women's conference, Colour Your World, where literally thousands of women come from all over the world.  I was able to be one of 20,000 other women who had their life changed and turned upside down by what the Lord did at Colour.  Here I am two weeks after the conference and I am still processing and journaling all I experienced.  I have NEVER been so empowered as a female in leadership and woman of God.  I am blessed to be apart of a church who places value and worth on womanhood and empowering us as leaders.  Not in a feminist way, but in the way the Lord intended.  At Hillsong, we have a ministry called "Sisterhood" and it shatters every stereotype you have of women's ministry.  It is more than just a group of women at Hillsong doing a bible study during the week and bring a casserole to those in need every now and then.  It is a company of women uniting in friendship and cause changing their world and the world around them.   The hear of sisterhood is in this, "The Sisterhood is a company of women united in heart, using time and energy, strength and influence for the betterment of others...A company of women united in friendship, gathering their world, raising awareness, venturing into the realms of responsibility...A company of women united in cause, seeing the fruit, feeling the joy, knowing that they are making a difference." And Sisterhood isn't just for those at Hillsong.  We do have a local group that meets at church, but there are women all over the world apart of this amazing movement of women.  You can check it out at www.hillsong.com and then click on "sisterhood".   Once a year the "sisters" from all over the world gather for the Colour conference uniting us in spirit and body for 3 days.  And the result is nothing short of life changing.  There is no way I can share with you everything the Lord wrote on my heart, but I would like to share some highlights.    

We were blessed with amazing worship and phenomenal speakers (Lisa Bevere and Sy Rogers), wonderful entertainment, and had the opportunity to make friendships with women all over the world.  However, the life changing part of the conference was the challenges and need presented to us that are all around us and the globe.  The whole conference we were reminded that We are to be the Change because the "Spirit of the Lord is upon us...."  It is so easy to go through life only serving ourselves.  And this was not how the Lord intended life.  We were not created to live for ourselves.  The Lord really spoke to my heart about how I live my life.  My heart broke as I heard the need all around the world and right where I am.  And I get so caught up in me that I don't see the need right under my nose.  I'd heard the need so many times before.  And I walked away wanting to make a difference.  But then just several days later, I returned living life for myself.  But this time was different.  The Lord whispered into the depths of my soul, "My daughter, love.  Love in my name."  And the quiet intimate whisper in my soul, joined together with 20,000 other whispers has become a SHOUT!!  If we, as a company of sister joined together with Christ, can be the change in our world.  The way I live my life today looks different than it did two weeks ago.  Not only were we presented with a need, but practical ways we can be the change in our world and globe.  My service is not coming out of a place of obligation or legalism.  But love.  The Lord has placed such a burden on my soul that my life be a reflection of love and service.  And all who see my life can't help but see the love of my Saviour.  So, I extend the challenge and mandate to you...the Spirit of the Lord is upon YOU, my sister.  Won't you be the change in your world and globe?  

Before I close this ridiculously LONG post, which if you've made it this far, you are special to us, I want to open your eyes to a need that grabbed my heart.  Human trafficking.  For those of you who are not familiar with this, human trafficking is modern day sex slavery and exploitation of women sexually.  Roughly 2-4 MILLION girls are trafficked across borders each year.  These precious girls and women are expected to service up to 20 men a day.  99% are NEVER rescued.  How does this happen?  Some women are violently forced.  Others are given a promise of a good job overseas and then taken in trafficking.  These victims are from all parts of the world and happen to all races of women.  These women are subject to many abuses such as: malnutrition, sleep deprivation, emotional abuse, beatings, lack of healthcare and forced abortions. Many contract STD's and hepatitis A & B.  And children are deprived of basic education and any sort of parental upbringing, and are completely dependent on their captors for food and shelter.  Although this seems like a HOPELESS situation there is so much we can do RIGHT where we are.  There is an organization called A21 that is seeking to abolish this injustice.  You can join them in praying daily with guided prayers, financially support a victim of this crime, donate, etc.  Please visit www.thea21campaign.org to find out how YOU can be the CHANGE!

xoxo
erika

No comments: