Thursday, April 23, 2009

If i have faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

If there is one thing in this world that I am thankful for, it is the life that I have been graciously and undeservingly given. I was hit today with a very harsh reality that was very amazing to me. http://www.globalrichlist.com/ On this website is a calculator where you put in your annual income and it shows you where you are on the worlds "Richness Scale." I put in on that scale what Erika and I were making when we first got married, and I was slapped in the face, when I saw in relation to the rest of the world, how well off we are. 
I have been getting involved with I Heart Revolution, and I am so excited about this movement.  I really think that it is going to be something that impacts this world in an incredible and mighty way.  As I see and work with these issues, I am realizing more and more that we as Christians are supposed to have an attitude of love and generosity, and really to the point that we think is crazy or makes us uneasy.    We weren't blessed with the money or the things that we have so that we could hoard those things and keep them all to ourselves.  Thats not what it is about at all.   I love 1 Cor 13, most people know it, but I really like where it says in verse 6 where it says' "Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth."  I know that with a lot of homeless people in the states that the mentality is to just say that those people made the choices that led them to where they are, and they are just draining our society.  Well I would venture to say that most people haven't gone up to a homeless person and really sat down with them to ask them their story.  I would encourage everyone to do that,  I think that many people will be surprised what they find out.  
That goes with the rest of the world to, not just the homeless people in the States.  There is so much going on all over the world that we don't see in the news, or media.  There is so much injustice in this world, and it is so easy for us to get into a rut and ignore the strife of this world just so we don't have to leave the comfort of our routine lives.  I encourage you to do things to make a difference in this world starting with just stepping out of your comfort zone and talking to the people that you wouldn't normally talk to, or help the person that helping them might be an inconvenience. 
I thank you for reading what God is doing in us, please let us know what is going on in your lives, we love the feedback and hearing how people are doing.   

I will leave you with this,  If you haven't read 1 Cor 13 in a while, sit down and read it slowly and really chew on what it is saying.

blessings
brian

2 comments:

Bri Sisco said...

Wow! Brian, that's awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this! I needed that encouragement, this week God has really been showing me that it really is all about HIS LOVE and everything we are blessed with. :) love you guys!

Fady said...

you know guys,I rarely helped poor people which beg you in the street because i thought they are decieving you ( that was when I was in my original country Egypt )
but when I came to Australia,I was searching for a job while my money was running out and I have no hope..in these circumstances I felt the feelings of poor people,, and I went to one of those beggers in the street and I gave him money even he didn't ask me
I don't know why I'm telling this story now, but the website you have mentioned shows us how we are rich comparing to other people in the world, however we consider ourselves as poor
just before I read your blog I was thinking about myself,, I hardly have a couple hundreds of dollars and I have many commitments,my employer advices me to look for another job as working in another workplace will increase my experience as a graduate ( of course it is not the main issue...hehehehe)and I can't find any
any way we should thank god in every situation and be sure that he knows when we will need him and he will be there, actually he is walking in front of us but we can't see him
Thanks for your topic guys which reminds me of god
Jesus be with you all